Though I secretly enjoyed my different part-time job experiences, this is possibly (and hopefully) my last few part-time job ever...
Working at the Comex 2017 has been an eye opener for me. I requested to be part of the team selling Asus. Now that it's over and although I am left with loads of work to catch up on but..."no ragrats".
On my first day of Comex, I was literally #superblurme. I know nuts about laptops, their specifications, etc (especially gaming laptops) but like I told my dad, "I don't know any shit but I'm good at acting as if I know". And I think confidence is a very important aspect so I tried my best to look as confident as I can when I approached customers or when I answered their questions.
That worked pretty well cos I managed to smoke through 4 days of Comex without any huge hiccups (3 small ones but I'll let it go). My heart will shiver when people ask about the gaming laptops cos they probably know much more about laptops so I was worried that I couldn't answer their questions.
The first hour of Comex was, however, terrifying. I don't know what laptop series and models we have, or where they were placed at, so I told myself I'll be contented if I managed to sell 1 laptop. And I did it...
The next few days were a breeze. I got the hang of it quickly but still had to ask the in-charge when customers throw questions regarding RAM/SSD upgrades or some random weird ones at me. By the 3rd and 4th day, I have this weird sense of satisfaction when the cashier told me "233 (my salesperson code) again".
One thing I didn't like initially was that other salespersons tend to keep asking how many I sold off every time they bump into me. I don't get why are they so concerned about my sales. Why let other people's sales affect your mood or be the factor that motivates you? Subsequently, I realised maybe they have nothing better to ask so that's their way of starting a conversation? Apart from that, the only issue I had was trying to communicate with kids from another generation. I can't believe I'm at the age where I start feeling old because most people working at my booth are around 17-20 years old. WHUT.
I was eating with a 17-year-old and she asked loads of interesting questions (that I wouldn't ask someone whom I just got to know for few hours) such as how many relationships I had, how people find a boyfriend, am I in Uni year 3? And when I told her I'm a year 4 student. She went on to ask if I retained. I didn't know Uni year 4 means retain until I met her... She probably doesn't know SMU has year 5 and 6 students as well. So for the next few days, I decided I'll have my meals alone peacefully instead.
I believe I have a flair for sales related job judging by how natural I was. Perhaps I was born for this hahahaha