Today, I found out how much I hated to hear a few of the mainstream sentences that parents love to say, regardless of whether they're being serious or simply cracking a joke.
In future, you'll have to pay for your younger siblings' uni fees, or how much allowance are you going to give your parents, and etc. Or the usual "go be a dentist/doctor and earn big bucks" kind of bullshit.
These mindsets have been instilled into our mind; we have to pay for our siblings, we have to give our parents allowance, only doctors/lawyers can earn big bucks. Not that I don't have the intention to pay/give, but the thought of having someone consistently instilling this mindset into me is awful. It feels like i'm obliged to do so. (oh wellz indeed i am?)
I loathe it from the bottom of my heart. And so this serves as a reminder to me, not to repeat the above (or other similar) sentences to my future child or anybody for that matter.
It's altogether a different thing if what parents are trying to teach is sharing, caring, helping, filial, and etc. Then shouldn't they rephrase the way they tell the kids? Teaching them to give their parents allowance doesn't equate to them being filial. Same goes to asking them to pay for their siblings' school fees, it doesn't make them a more helpful or caring person towards other people. Wadaheck am i writing.
Maybe it's just me being over-sensitive...right.